Training, Programs & Development
Executive Certificate in Local Government
This certificate is intended for senior municipal administrators and municipal councillors. It will be of value to chief administrative officers or the equivalent as well as those who exercise senior management functions at the departmental level, interact with council and who have completed academic or professional development programs at the post-secondary level. Consideration will be given to candidates who do not possess the normal pre-requisites but, who by virtue of experience, would otherwise qualify for admission. It will also be of value to new chief administrative officers as well as those who aspire to this position.
This certificate is also intended for municipal councillors who want to be able to develop a new way to provide leadership within their municipality. This is the first time that Dalhousie University has offered a professional development certificate that is specifically targeted to the needs of councillors and senior staff as a learning cohort.
This is a national program and as such participants will be drawn from across the Canada.
The overall course outcome is to improve organizational performance. The specific learning outcomes include:
- Knowing how local government got to be the way it is
- Having a better understanding of the challenges facing your municipality
- Appreciating the various stakeholders and the roles that they can play in addressing complex problems
- Knowing the importance of aligning resources with desired strategic outcomes
- Recognizing that form and process serve function
- Refining your appreciation of the respective roles of appointed and elected municipal officials
- Developing a better understanding of the role of the community and the various ways in which to engage it
- Improving organizational governance and accountability
- Developing skills in policy formulation, analysis and execution
As well, there will be an opportunity for individualized guided learning.
Application Intake Dates for Fall 2018
1st Intake: June 25, 2018
2nd Intake: July 23, 2018
Final Intake: August 27, 2018