The Local Government Administrators of the Northwest Territories (LGANT) is a professional organization comprised of senior administrative staff of community governments in the Northwest Territories.
LGANT's vision is to be recognized for its excellence in providing support and professional development for Community Officers in the Northwest Territories.
LGANT's mission is to strive for and promote excellence and professionalism in the field of local government administration in the Northwest Territories through education and career development programs and to create awareness of the Community Officer’s role in the community.
LGANT's objectives are:
- To provide a network for members to actively share information, ideas and expertise regarding the economical and efficient administration of community governments in the Northwest Territories;
- To ensure that relevant, high quality educational and training programs are available to all members.
- To provide considered technical and administrative advice to Community Councils, the Department of Municipal and Community Affairs and other Territorial Departments and to the Northwest Territories Association of Municipalities when required and appropriate;
- To establish and encourage adherence to ethical and professional standards of performance for all members; and
- To promote public awareness of and confidence in local government administration as a profession and as a career.
In addition to liaising with the Territorial government and other agencies in the area of community administration, LGANT provides a forum for sharing information amongst administrators across the Territory. LGANT is also the lead agency that promotes careers in community governments.
LGANT members benefit from a wide range of programs and services helping them to be on the pulse of the latest in programming, bursaries and grants, education, training, and quality of service for the administration of your community government. This includes:
- An Annual Professional Development Conference and AGM offering workshops and sessions relevant to the profession
- Professional development and learning opportunities through information on distance and classroom programs, online courses, networking and access to an experienced community of practice
- Free job advertising on LGANT's website that automatically links postings to CivicJobs.ca
- Free postings of community government bidding opportunities
- An Awards of Excellence Program to members in recognition of demonstrated excellence and professionalism in local government administration
- The CAMA Bursary Program which provides financial assistance for a Regular Member to attend the annual Canadian Association of Municipal Administrators Conference
Our website offers:
- The most extensive training, education and professional development listing relevant to community governments in the NWT
- Community government job postings and bidding opportunities
- News relevant to LGAs and local governments
- Information on programs and funding
- A document library containing bylaws, policies, best practices, templates, tools and more
- Links to relevant resources and organizations in the NWT and Canada
LGANT's office is located in Yellowknife (NWT) at 5018 52nd Street in the Fiddle & Stix Music Building.