News and Updates
Elders in Motion Support Program
The Elders in Motion Program aims to improve access to physical activity opportunities for NWT elders. Elders in Motion works to increase independence and functional mobility for older adults. The program includes training and support for communities, groups and individuals interested in developing and maintaining an elder recreation program.
Who can apply for the Elders in Motion Program?
Any health organization, elder/senior organization, school, community government or other organization that is interested in delivering a recreation program for Elders in their community. We hope that your program will include physical activity as well as traditional activities. We offer a series of training workshops developed for northern communities.
What will we do for you?
- We will help you plan the program as well as offer ongoing support;
- We will offer training and workshops so leaders understand what activities are appropriate and safe for Elders;
- We will work with community groups to help organize and Elders in Motion Committee;
- We will offer tips and suggestions from other NWT Elders program; and
- We will help identify ways to access funding.
What training do we offer?
- Initial Elders in Motion Introduction and Planning Meeting
- Active Living Exercise Program (10 Simple yet progressive exercises);
- Balls and Balance Workshop (learn how to incorporate small balls into the program); and
- Functional Fitness for Falls Prevention (learn ways to initiate effective fall prevention initiatives) * this training is optional.
- The organization will plan, organize and deliver a recreational program for Older Adults;
- Priority will be given to groups that do not already have a program for Elders;
- Organizers must be willing to participate in the initial Elders in Motion introduction and planning meeting, the Active Living Exercise Program and the Balls and Balance workshop;
- The planned Elders group must plan to meet at least until March 2018 with plans to continue thereafter; and
- The successful applicants will be asked to submit a simple final report and respond to corresponding surveys.
What will we do for you after the program?
- We can help you evaluate the goals of your program to make it better next year and to get more funding from supporters
- We will continue to offer tips and encouragement in order to continue the Elders program in your community
How can you start planning now?
- Talk with the Elders in your community to see what they are interested in;
- Find a location for the program to take place;
- Think which days of the week and time of day would work for program leaders and Elders; and
Think about who in your community would want to take the training.