Reporting to the Senior Administrative Officer (SAO), The Recreation Coordinator is reponsible for the development and implementation of recreation programs that provide opportunities for sport and recreation and promote a healthy lifestyle for all community residents. The Recreation Coordinator will manage all recreation facilities and assist with sports, recreation and leisure programs in the community.
The ideal candidate has strong interpersonal and leadership skills and will be able to communicate effectively with all levels of the community.
To be invited for an interview, an applicant will demonstrate the following knowledge and skills:
- Recreation, sport and leisure program administration, management and delivery;
- Recreation, sport and leisure program evaluation;
- Coaching theory and practice;
- Volunteer training, development and recognition;
- Events coordination and planning;
- Northern cultural activities and traditional sports and games;
- An understanding of the northern cultural and political environment;
- An understanding of relevant legislation, policies, procedures and rules;
- Knowledge of emergency procedures, First Aid and CPR;
- Team, management and supervisory skills;
- Contract management and strategic planning skills;
- Effective verbal, listening and written communication skills including the ability to prepare applications and reports;
- Computer skills including the ability to operate spreadsheets and wordprocessing programs at a highly proficient level;
- Effective public relations and public speaking skills;
- Stress and time management skills;
- Valid Class 5 driver's license.
A current Criminal Record Check is required.
The above noted knowledge and skills may typically aquired through the completion of a Degree or Diploma in Recreation Management and /or completion of the Recreation Facility Operator's program with related recreation programming experience. A minimum of 2 years progressively experience working in a recreation management capacity.