The Town of Norman Wells is seeking a Finance Manager to join its Management Team.
Located at the Town Office in Norman Wells, the Finance Manager plays an integral role in the implementation of guidelines and planning in order to achieve the Town’s goals and objectives.
The ideal candidate has strong interpersonal and leadership skills and is able to communicate effectively with all levels of management, alongside a highly successful track record in the development and implementation of corporate financial processes, designed to ensure that decision making is consistent with the Town’s corporate goals, political mandate and objectives.
To be invited for an interview, an applicant will demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of financial operations in all areas including community government structures and administration
- Extensive experience and ability to develop and implement an effective system of financial management and administration
- Extensive experience and ability to interpret financial policies and procedures
- Demonstrative ability to analyze and synthesize financial information to include variances reports, Operations and Maintenance (O&M) and capital budget and to manage, administer and contract program budgets and to provide financial reporting, advice and direction to the Senior Administrative Officer
- Demonstrative ability to conduct in-depth financial analysis of complex issues and make high-level recommendations concerning budgeting, expenditures, financial processing and human resources issues
- Proven ability to work to deadlines and respond effectively to frequently changing deadlines and competing priorities
- Excellent computer skills including experience with spreadsheets and word processing application (MS Word and Excel) ton convey financial information, including a facility with computerized financial data bases
- Demonstrative ability to develop and deliver formal presentations that may be instructional or persuasive to stakeholders with considerable differences in expertise
- Proven effective communication skills, interpersonal skills, organization skills, people management skills, analytical skills to deal productively and effectively with staff and various partners
The above noted knowledge, skills and abilities may typically be acquired through either:
- A recognized Canadian accounting designation CPA (CGA, CMA or CA)
- A minimum of 15 years’ progressively responsible experience working in a financial management capacity
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in human and financial resource management and supervising teams
- Excellent knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Public Sector Accounting Standards (PSAS) and excellent knowledge of the Financial Administration Manual (FAM) and principles of the Financial Administration Act (FAA) is required
- Experience in development and implementation of accounting and controlling systems, procedures and policies in order to achieve the goals and objectives
- Experience in conducting audits in municipalities
- Experience in the preparation of documents for annual financial audits
- Experience of operational improvement and changes
To learn more about the Town of Norman Wells please visit our website at: www.normanwells.com
Qualified individuals are invited to submit their resume to:
Senior Administrative Officer
Town of Norman Wells
Norman Wells, NT, X0E 0V0
Work (867) 587-3703
Fax (867) 587-3701
Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Please be advised that the Town of Norman Wells requires all prospective employees to provide a criminal records check prior to employment. We thank all applicants who apply, but advise that only those to be interviewed will be contacted.